Sunday, December 18, 2011

Dreaming of a White Christmas



Oh the weather outside is frightful...
I'm sitting here in my room watching the whirling snowflakes fly past the window... The cars and rooftops have a beautiful dusting and, with only 7 days to go, perhaps this year it will be a white Christmas.

Normally, the idea of snow on Christmas Day would fill me with a childlike delight, at the thought of mulled wine by the fire, with snow laying round about, deep and crisp and even.

However, I think I've finally grown up because I do not want it to be snowing right now. I'd rather it didn't rain either, but if I had to choose... I might actually choose the non-frozen kind of precipitation.

I'll be home for Christmas... hopefully
The truth is, the last couple of years have warranted dreadful horror stories. People getting on the Eurostar with big sighs of relief... only to get to Calais and be told that they're being sent back to Brussels because of the snow... Others were stuck at St Pancras for 12 hours, whilst others were turned away at the barriers!

I'm terrified that this will happen to me, and I really wish I'd taken this week off as well, or at least worked from home. Even a train on Thursday would have been more sensible. But no. I decided to leave on Friday because I hate taking time off work.

You're a mean one, Mr Grinch
The weather forecast doesn't say snow, so why am I worrying? Well, it wasn't predicted for this weekend, yet Friday evening it began to snow, and had settled by 7pm, meaning I was pushed back and couldn't meet the boy at the station.

Wet feet, wet socks and a coat covered in snow was not the way I'd planned on spending my weekend. There were a few flurries yesterday amongst the rain, and then this evening after I bid a fond farewell to my boyfriend, down it came, thicker and faster than ever.

Yes it's beautiful, but it's also deadly. I don't have any suitable footwear for snow, as both pairs of sensible boots have now got holes in thanks to the cobblestones. Ten mins of walking, and my feet are frozen...

All I Want for Christmas...
So here's my Christmas wish. It can snow all it wants on Christmas Eve once I'm back in England, but ideally it won't snow until Boxing Day evening, when I'm all snug by the fire with my boyfriend, and don't care if I'm stuck there until February!

No comments:

Post a Comment