Saturday, January 7, 2012

Happy New Year



January 2012
It's the first week of January, and that means that most people are convincing themselves that they need to sort their lives out. New job, new house, new body, new lifestyle... new obsessions. Why do we do this? Christmas seems such a good idea - spend a fortune on presents, food and alcohol, and then after it's all over, we all get a guilty conscience.

The most common guilt trips seem to be:
  • Eating too much over Christmas
  • Drinking too much over Christmas
  • Spending too much over Christmas
  • Not exercising enough over Christmas
  • Not sleeping enough over Christmas
Looking at the above I can safely say that I feel like they all apply to me. However, not in the same way as most people.
  • I barely eat anything in Brussels - cooking for one is boring and uninteresting, and food is expensive
  • I don't really drink in Brussels - I live far away from the centre, and refuse to drink in my room alone
  • The Eurostar wasn't cheap - that raised my December outgoings rather a lot
  • I do a lot of exercise in Brussels - 40mins walking a day, plus skating, stair climbing and yoga
  • I came back to Brussels shattered (getting up at 6.30am GMT after being used to getting up at 9am)
I suppose after enjoying ourselves (or not), people feel they need to start the New Year by being good (boring). I made some New Year's resolutions... but had already broken most of them by Jan 2nd!

My New Year's Resolutions
  • Drink less - I had to finish the bottle from New Year's Eve (Jan 1st), then was offered mulled wine (Jan 2nd), white wine (3rd Jan, 4th Jan), went out with a new friend (5th Jan). Yesterday I did not drink any alcohol (Result)
  • Be positive - I got on the Eurostar and watched a film. Got back to the empty house and wanted to come home (2nd Jan). Now the end is in sight however, it seems much easier and I am persevering.
  • Stop procrastinating - my CV needed updating... I cleaned my room, stripped the bed, cleaned the bathroom, culled FB friends, organised my birthday, and wrote this blog. Oops.
  • Run a half marathon - this needs to be booked. Watch this space.
My boyfriend's decided to do something that scares him each month... I'm sure I can think of a few things he could give a go!

Christmas time is family time
I had a fantastic Christmas this year. I saw loads of friends, had several Christmas dinners, and enjoyed being with mine and my boyfriend's families. I love traditions, so it's fun to think how we'll eventually combine them... probably by getting fat!

My family eat on Christmas Eve (it saves stress on Christmas Day), and eat whatever we want on Christmas Day. The boy's family have dinner on Christmas Day AND Boxing Day. SO - we could get 3 Christmas dinners each year if we time it right :) 

Other traditions include disguising presents (my family), and starring presents for the same people (his family) so they open them together.

Both of our families are quite similar actually. They both spread presents out over several days, enjoy playing games and Christmas walks. This year my boyfriend's dad had made a fab quiz which caused a lot of entertainment (yes, we did win), whereas my family preferred long-winded Trivial Pursuit. Add in the Downton Christmas Special, walking on the beach, mulled wine and cracker jokes and it was perfect!

I suppose I should go and update my CV... although I could paint my nails, and book my trip to Germany :)

No comments:

Post a Comment