Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Just Landed

Well, it's Wednesday and today I have not cried. Excellent. Doesn't sound like an achievement but I've been living in Brussels since Sunday, and have been more homesick than I could ever imagine. Oh boo hoo I hear you say.


BUT:

  • I don't speak French
  • I don't have anywhere to live
  • I don't know my way around
  • I don't have any friends
  • I don't have any Cadbury's
It may not sound entirely awful, but when you're used to living with your boyfriend and best friend, it's a massive change.

It would've been better if I'd had an easy ride of it, but no.

Sunday
Arrived in Brussels about 6pm and clearly looked like I knew what was going on as 4 people asked me (in French, Spanish, German and English) random questions. Struggled to get the Internet working, and realised I was all alone in a foreign country, and was starting a new job the next day. Bawled. My. Eyes. Out.

Monday
The metro system is simple, yet on Monday I still managed to get on the wrong connection, and ended up going back the way I'd come, realising in the process that I hadn't 'punched' my ticket and was therefore going to be in trouble when a (very likely non-English speaking) train guard asked me what the Hell I was doing! I had dinner with friends of a friend of a friend which was lovely, although it got a bit too much when I was asked if I'd brought DVDs with me, and I burst into tears (I've also cried looking at a sprinkler before - I never cry... until weird things, that are somehow linked to my inner emotions, are mentioned).

Tuesday
Apart from my inability to answer French in French, choosing instead to respond in Spanish - very odd looks from people - Tuesday was fine. Then I had to get off one stop before my connector stop because there had been an 'incident'. So I was stranded somewhere with no map, no French and no change. One (possibly) illegal tram ride later and I was back, and ready to tackle the supermarché... Aside from Special K costing €5 and almost forgetting toothpaste, this was quite satisfactory, although everyone in the shop seemed to be speaking English with an accent.

Of course when I staggered back with my shopping, all the lights were off so I couldn't see to open the door, my pizza was covered in onion (it makes me ill), my mineral water was fizzy, and my laptop refused to play a DVD. Maybe I cried a little bit, just maybe.

Wednesday
However, even though someone turned out the lights when I was on the toilet, and the office had run out of coffee, today was manageable. There was a nice person to take me out this evening for ice-cream (glace de ananas et butterscotch). Always a winner. 

One good thing about living here is that I have a flat stomach again as I can't afford food, and for the past three days have been feeling too sick to eat. Every cloud! :)

PS My job is awesome, and I am totally busy and important and stuff.

2 comments:

  1. C'est la vie mon fille. Plat is flat water, gazeuse is fizzy, but you probably know that now. Ne panic pas et continue... il y a l'experience de tous. Fais a tois, ta parrain Peter x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci a toi. Je se - c'est le vie! x

    ReplyDelete