Thursday, September 29, 2011

Non, je ne regrette rien



The word that is heard perishes, but the letter that is written remains

Post (if it's the right sort of post) is always exciting. When you're a child, all post addressed to you is obviously something amazing, because you don't get bills, junk mail or appointment notifications, and when you get older, anything handwritten is usually exciting, because it means someone's actually taken the time to remember how to use a pen!

Living abroad seems to make people put pen to paper, to prove that they care about you. I love it. I miss letters, and if it takes moving abroad for people to write letters, then it's a sad day for all of us. 

However, every single bit of post makes my day - I love reading, and letters are one of the nicest things to read, because they're personal and bizarre. It's very rare that people plan out a letter; mostly (or maybe that's just me), I start to write, and I end up waffling on about really random stuff (just like this blog).

Anyway, I really appreciate the cards, emails, parcels and post cards from everyone, and a special mention to my 'sister-in-law' and godmother for the Cadbury's and home-made goodies.


Mais soudain je pousse un cri parmi les rires
As my French improves, I start to notice certain elements of English which don't cross language barriers. I almost feel mean when people say things in English which to me means something completely different.

My colleague asked me what my plans were this weekend...Me: Well my boyfriend's coming tomorrow, so we'll probably go to the Atomium on Saturday
Colleague: You like looking at big hanging balls?Me: Err...Lapland and Pole DancingIn England we all moan about public transport, but in Brussels it's something else altogether.I take the Metro to work, and every day one of the escalators (always an up escalator) is broken. There's something very depressing about climbing up a broken escalator, because halfway up you realise how unfit you are, but you have to keep going!Of course, you have to survive the journey itself before you can even contemplate leaving the station. The drivers seem to enjoy harsh (normally random) braking. A woman actually landed in my lap the other day. The train screeched to a halt, and she toppled onto the seat and slid into my lap. Charming!The same is true of the bus - sitting or standing, if you're not holding on tight enough, you'll end up on the floor, or doing attractive pirouettes around the pole. My advice is this: if you can, use your legs, it's safer and - most of the time - quicker! My journey takes 40ish minutes which is walking - metro - metro - walking. If I walked the whole way, Google Maps estimates 52 minutes, which means it would take a normal human about 45.And another thing...
Most importantly, I get to see my boyfriend this weekend, and best of all, he is bringing a suitcase full of toiletries and sundries from Merry Old England! Good ol' Blighty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment